Monday, October 15, 2007

Hello Sponsors

I thought I'd write a little piece to acknowledge you, who have stepped up and put out your money, time, and/or equipment to help sponsor us. When we started this project, I think we sent out about 300 letters, not all that many in the big scheme of things, but enough to get a feel for whats happening.We got back about dozen responses, and only one of those was a sure thing. I thought some Chevrolet dealer would take up our cause and slip us a little som'thin, som'thin, but that was not to be, we've had to depend on the kindness of strangers, as Blanche Dubois once said. So who are these sponsors, let's start with the major corporates:


First of all we have Redwood Auto Body in Healdsburg. Dennis Parrish and his crew took our Chevelle and turned it into a gorgeous red beauty. Without them, we'd probably taken it to Earl Scheib for a $29.95 special. If nothing else, our car is beautiful.

Our friends at Selby and Sons Engine and Machine made it possible for us to have an engine, something other than an old 283 ci with 500 billion miles on it. They did all the machining, donated a lot of time and parts. Thanks to both Everett and James Selby.

Here in Santa Rosa we have an auto parts house by the name of Smothers Auto Parts, my pardner Rick has been doing business with them for 20 plus years. They have been generous enough to sell us parts at a much discounted rate, and... they deliver! Rubin with Pioneer Tire of Santa Rosa was able to hook us up with Hankook Tires, and they donated two set of their Venrus R-S2 tires, which worked fantastic in the Chihuahua Express race. Thank you Rubin.
Dean Oshiro at Hot Rods USA was huge help with our brake set-up. When the folks at Wilwood told us the set they had would be "inadequate" for what we needed, Dean took over and made us a set that are exceptional. Thanks Dean.
And then there's Jeff at Nology, they make ignition wires, coils, spark plugs, and a few other things. These guys were the only ones to ask what we needed and then sent them to us. That's what I call real sponsorship, thank you Jeff.

Now for the Donors who pulled out their checkbooks and gave us hard earned cash. My pals Kenny@ http://www.towngreenvillage.com/, Dave@ http://www.terratrees.com/, Larry @http://www.encoreproductions.net/, Chris@ http://www.cafealtura.com/, Les @http://www.lesclaypool.com/, Max@ http://www.zep.com/, and Doc Allyn of Rock Springs, Wyoming were all very generous, and I thank you one and all.
And of course there is North Bay Bavarian@ http://www.bmwnbb.com/, it all starts here.
There's Matthew, Rick's son, Logan and Tom who without them, there would be no car, they did the lions share of the work. All my thanks to you guys. There's Rick's wife Claudia, who's let him go at this project for over a year, add another ten days in Chihuahua and now about 3 weeks on the road. I've heard no complaints, at least not to me. Thanks Claudia! My friend Jami helped me from the start, with our original letter, which I thought was pretty good, and addressing many envelopes. Thank you darlin. And there's Harvey@http://www.minimotors.com/, where I take up space blogging away.
And let's not forget my pals George and Jenny, at Sunshine Pool and Spa for letting me day dream many hours about the up coming adventure. And finally my pardner and friend Rick, who said "yes" to this idea way back when, and here we are.
To all our other family, friends, and well wishers who have stopped in or called, thank you so much, it means everything to us.
The time has come for us to get the car loaded on the trailer, get the bags packed and hit the long road to ol' Mexico. Vaya con Dios, mi amigos.

Next Time: Here We Go!

WE ARE STILL LOOKING FOR SPONSORS

2 comments:

Steve W said...

Ernie, Rick,

I hope you guys find this, this is Steve, letting you know that we got home safe and sound, and I'm doing pretty well. I've definitely had worse.

drop me an e mail to sjwarwick@gmail.com, check out my blog at wicklo.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hello Guy,
Thanks for the plug, Glad to assist you and good luck next year.

Dean Oshiro